Opening multiple camera streams / devices

Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Talk about anything related to Yawcam...
icmiaan

Opening multiple camera streams / devices

Post by icmiaan »

I have six cameras connected using a USB hub and that is connected to my laptop. When I run my Yawcam SW, I can see all the devices - 1-6 and also get the stream from each device one at a time. Is it possible to get all six streams open with the preview window - i.e. six preview windows and each connected to a different device.

I am able to open two instances of the SW and view images from two different cameras, but not more.

If not, any suggestions on how I might do this for 6 cameras? Or any other SWs?

Thanks!!
z3r0c00l12

Post by z3r0c00l12 »

Although I've never tried it with more than 2 cameras, I don't see why you'd have any problems opening 6. all you'd have to do is follow the instructions in one of the stickies on how to have multiple instances.

http://www.yawcam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=140#140
memoric

Post by memoric »

I used to run 4 yawcam instances with no problem, so you must be doing
something wrong.
Bullock

Post by Bullock »

Yes.

It's a little tricky but you can do it.

You can also stream and HTTP them too. You just need to forward some ports.

Any ways...

I tried it on a hub and it didn't work, but I could have been doing something wrong. try to put them all on an on-board usb for best results.

FIRST STEP : go ahead and open Yawcam app. Keep the webcam that loads and note it. Or choose any of the webcams.

then open the app again. you may get a couple of messages just click OK. when it shows the "control Penal" choose a different webcam.

Do that same procedure for each cam.

If you are going to get them on line then set up all your ports before hand and enter a new port for each cam as you go along.
z3r0c00l12

Post by z3r0c00l12 »

Bullock may be on to something, the USB hub may be overloaded with too many cameras taking all the bandwidth, or all the USB's power. Try plugging the cams separately.

But, you will be better off following the steps in my post above to get all of them working simultaneously, because Bullock's way of opening Yawcam means you'll have to re-open all Yawcams manually every time you restart.
icmiaan

Post by icmiaan »

Thank you all for your help. I tried the on-board USBs instead of the hub and could get up to 4 Yawcams up. Past that, it only shows a blank preview screen for the next one. I tried switching cameras and powering on/off, but I could only get 4 cameras to work.

Since I only need to capture images with one click, and not really view them, I thought of the following:

I want to be able to capture images more instantaneously. So I was thinking of writing a script that would switch between each of the devices and capture an image from each device. I would have written something, but I am really tight with time.

Could you let me know if that is possible? Is there a command line interface?

Thanks again for all your help!
tomra

Re: Opening multiple camera streams / devices

Post by tomra »

Thanks for this thread and all the replies, helped me 11 years later :D :D :D
joeltonly

Re:

Post by joeltonly »

memoric wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:54 pm I used to run 4 yawcam instances with no problem, so you must be doing
something wrong. duck life
How can you do it.