Pros & Cons of showing IP address

Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Talk about anything related to Yawcam...
Laura Boivin

Pros & Cons of showing IP address

Post by Laura Boivin »

After reading about hiding the IP address by going through Dyn or No-ip etc, I am asking what some people in here think the pros & cons about showing your IP address are.

What are there dangers? Is my computer compromised?

If someone really wants to know my IP address, can they not find that out anyway?

Want to add that I do not keep anything confidential on the computers I use for the webcams.

Would appreciate your thoughts on it.

Thanks........Laura
Dragnier

Post by Dragnier »

dyndns and no-ip doesn't actually hide your IP address. they provide people with a URL that would always point to the target machine even if the IP address of that machine changes. (you do need to have a way of updating the IP address).

you really can't hide your IP address if you are hosting a website. otherwise, browsers would not be able to find your site. the IP and port of your stream is also easily obtainable from your page. try right clicking either the left or right frame and look at its source. you'd see both values, bright as day and in plain text.

if you use dyndns, you'd have something.dyndns.com:8888. you can then try to ping something.dyndns.com and the dns would resolve it to the right IP address.

but as long as you have all other ports blocked on your firewall, except the ones used by Yawcam, you're probably fine.
antibuity

Post by antibuity »

What ip address do hackers use when you are using a router? for example when using port scanners like angry ip scanner or advanced port scanner? Is it the ip address that the router assigned to the computer or the ip address assigned by the ISP?
Last edited by antibuity on Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
z3r0c00l12

Post by z3r0c00l12 »

Hackers always use 127.0.0.1 to hack computers, it's the one that gives you the most access, try it with angry IP scanner or any other software.