New feature whanted to pre-set Brightness/Contrast

Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Talk about anything related to Yawcam...

Do you miss a feature to pre-set brightness and contrast in Yawcam?

Poll ended at Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:03 pm

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 4

jani143

New feature whanted to pre-set Brightness/Contrast

Post by jani143 »

Hello!
Wow, YAWCAM, best WebcamCapture I ever saw but I miss a feature to pre-set brightness and contrast to the Cam-Image. :?
Do you know, what I mean?

thx jani143
Jii

Post by Jii »

I miss a feature to pre-set brightness and contrast to the Cam-Image. Do you know, what I mean?
Sure I know. :)

I think that is a thing you can't implement on Yawcam easily since there are several variations of different webcams available. Drivers are different, too and they are the ones that set the limits how good (or bad) the image produced by the webcam can be.

My webcam is a Creative Webcam NX Pro and if the lighting of the place is dark enough (usually a cloudy day with curtains on), the image of my webcam is unthinkably poor (The picture is completely black, and only the lights of my computer is seen).

This anomaly is caused by limits set by hardware and drivers.
For the Webcam part, the sensor cell structure of the webcam is playing the major part. CMOS sensors are cheap to manufacture but they produce extremely poor quality picture if the lighting condition is poor due to their sensitivity of creating excess noise in the picture in such condition.

CCD cells are so far the best ones for a webcam (used in digital cameras, too), but are more costly to manufacture. These cells produce higher quality pictures, even in poor lighting contiditon because they are "less noisy".

Drivers are the ones that may compensate the brightness/contrast of the picture (Logitech webcam's drivers are a good example) or may not (like most webcam drivers are - unfortunately).

Having such an adjustment in Yawcam sounds great, but having Yawcam do the the compensation process on every frame sent by the webcam would slow the total Frames/sec-output rate dramatically on less powerful machines and Yawcam would become a real resource-hogger (it already consumes great amounts of memory). Also, having this feature in Yawcam may not work well on webcams with CMOS sensor cell structure if it's located in a poorly lighted area. A picture that is practically 100% black is not worth compensating, since there are no parts of the picture you can make any better.
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

I voted Yes! Because I really miss it...
But this would be a very tricky issue to solve in java. As Jii writes (and he does it very well) there will not be possible to modify each frame "by hand" due to the performence question.
The only way would be to access the driver itself, but this is sadly not possible with ordinary java. But I'm looking for a way...

/malun
husain

i want a ceative webcam"s driver

Post by husain »

[quote="Jii"][quote]I miss a feature to pre-set brightness and contrast to the Cam-Image. Do you know, what I mean?[/quote]

Sure I know. :)

I think that is a thing you can't implement on Yawcam easily since there are several variations of different webcams available. Drivers are different, too and they are the ones that set the limits how good (or bad) the image produced by the webcam can be.

My webcam is a Creative Webcam NX Pro and if the lighting of the place is dark enough (usually a cloudy day with curtains on), the image of my webcam is unthinkably poor (The picture is completely black, and only the lights of my computer is seen).

This anomaly is caused by limits set by hardware and drivers.
For the Webcam part, the sensor cell structure of the webcam is playing the major part. CMOS sensors are cheap to manufacture but they produce extremely poor quality picture if the lighting condition is poor due to their sensitivity of creating excess noise in the picture in such condition.

CCD cells are so far the best ones for a webcam (used in digital cameras, too), but are more costly to manufacture. These cells produce higher quality pictures, even in poor lighting contiditon because they are "less noisy".

Drivers are the ones that may compensate the brightness/contrast of the picture (Logitech webcam's drivers are a good example) or may not (like most webcam drivers are - unfortunately).

Having such an adjustment in Yawcam sounds great, but having Yawcam do the the compensation process on every frame sent by the webcam would slow the total Frames/sec-output rate dramatically on less powerful machines and Yawcam would become a real resource-hogger (it already consumes great amounts of memory). Also, having this feature in Yawcam may not work well on webcams with CMOS sensor cell structure if it's located in a poorly lighted area. A picture that is practically 100% black is not worth compensating, since there are no parts of the picture you can make any better.[/quote]