Unable to view outside my network

Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Talk about anything related to Yawcam...
a4man

Unable to view outside my network

Post by a4man »

Hi Folks, I tried to search for an answer but could not find one. I am unable to view my URL or Stream outside of my network. My webcam is at my house and I do not use a router, I'm plugged directly into the wall.

I have installed direct X. I'm not sure whether or not I need to start Yawcam as a service or not, I just turn it on and have HttP and Stream auto start when I start Yawcam. I have WIN XPSP3. I have configured Zonelabs to trust the the IP addy. If I need to have Yawcam as a service please refer give me some direction on how to do it, it is not in my services list and I just downloaded the latest version of Yawcam. Please help I'm trying to monitor my sick little dog while at work!

Thanks
:?
z3r0c00l12

Post by z3r0c00l12 »

Did you allow ports 8081 and 8888 through your firewall?
a4man

Post by a4man »

That could be the problem, I don't know how to do it, I use zonelabs for my firewall. I did allow my url to be on the trusted list.....
Laura Boivin

Post by Laura Boivin »

a4man wrote:That could be the problem, I don't know how to do it, I use zonelabs for my firewall. I did allow my url to be on the trusted list.....
Here is a link with instructions on how to do port forwading. You may or may not have the same D-Link router, but you can click on a link inside that page for whatever router you do have.

http://portforward.com/english/routers/ ... efault.htm
a4man

Post by a4man »

Hi Laura,
Thanks, I don't use a router, our community is on a fiber network and the homes are all cat 5 wired. I just plug into the jack in the wall. I do know what my default gateway is though.
z3r0c00l12

Post by z3r0c00l12 »

That means the router is somewhere else, but there still is a router, too bad you can't follow the cable in the wall. To find your default gateway and in other words, find your router's IP address:

In XP: Press start -> Run
type "cmd" and press enter and follow below.
In Windows Vista or 7: Press the start "orb", type cmd and press enter

type "ipconfig /all" without quotes and press enter, the default gateway address will be show in the output.

you can then try to connect to your router via the web interface by putting the ip address in your browser as such: Ex. http://192.168.10.1/

Note: change the Ip address to your default gateway.
a4man

Post by a4man »

Actually I tried that, my default gate way is 10.224.1.0, that's what I put in my web browser and it timed out.
z3r0c00l12

Post by z3r0c00l12 »

That gateway address doesn't make sense unless the subnet mask is something other than 255.255.255.0.

But in other words, considering your IP is in the 10.x.x.x subnet, you have a local connection, which likely means your ISP is controlling your outside interface, which in turn means no incoming connections from the outside for you, unless you can get your ISP to provide you with a solution.

Keep in mind some providers have specific terms of use that say you may not run any type of server on your connection.