IE6 = "Err. No URL supplied!" but loads in firefox

Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Talk about anything related to Yawcam...
bluznews

Post by bluznews »

Hello,

So I have this live webcam page I'm trying to serve from remote yawcam server and a separate web host. The instructions on how to do this were quite helpful and I think I've got the <applet> parameters and values right.

Firefox loads this page and the applet just as it should. I can see what the webcam views. Safari and Mac Moz both load the page just fine as well.

But when I attempt to load the same page in IE6, the applet throws an error, "Err. No URL supplied!" Checking the console at the yawcam server, it registers the connection but I get no picture at the IE6 browser.

What is it about:

Code: Select all

<applet code="YawApplet.class" width="320" height="240"
 codebase="http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:8081/">
<param name="Host" value="XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX">
<param name="Port" value="8081">
</applet>
That IE6 doesn't like? Is it because I have Java VM 1.3.1_09-b03?
Jii

Post by Jii »

Is it because I have Java VM 1.3.1_09-b03?
The reason is precisely that. You are using a Java VM far beyond ancient. :P
Clients connecting to the Yawcam require a Java VM 1.4.2 or greater.

The reason why Firefox and other "Mozilla-browsers" open the page without any problems is that they use their own internal Java VMs to stream images from Yawcam and the Java VM they're using are probably all version 1.4.2 and the like. You should consider updating the Java VM as soon as possible.

The current version of Java VM is 1.5.0_02 and you can download it from the link below:

http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Click the Download-button next to the Windows (Offline Installation) to get the offline installer. The installer attempts to locate all your Java enabled browsers and update their VMs accordingly. If multiple browsers are found, the installer lets you decide if you want the update to affect IE only or IE and Mozilla-browsers.

Let me know, how IE responded after the update. :)

In addition, check that the codebase string is located on the same line with the applet's height and width values. It might just be me, but I wouldn't leave that unchecked.
bluznews

Post by bluznews »

Hmmmmmm.

Well, I updated my Java VM and put codebase on the same line as the rest of the values of <applet> as you suggested and it still doesn't work.

To make this even curiouser, even before I updated my Java VM (When I was still at 1.3....), IE6 could access and display the output of the yawcam server directly. I guess that's not surprising because, in that markup, we don't use codebase.

There appears to be something undocumentedly buggy in IE6's <applet> implementation when in quirks mode (Which I serve the page as by not specifying a DTD.). Or is quirks mode irrelevent?

Ah well, at least it works as it should in Mac, Opera, Safari, Firefox and I've yet to try it in Knoppix but I bet it will work there too.
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

Actually you should not need to update the java version. As long as the browser has a java 1.1 runtime installed the yawcam applet should work.

Your code looks good, so I think it should work in IE too. Strange. The error message you get indicates that something is wrong with the Host parameter though. But it looks like you typed it right in the code... Sorry, I can't solve this now...

/malun
Jii

Post by Jii »

Actually you should not need to update the java version. As long as the browser has a java 1.1 runtime installed the yawcam applet should work.
I stand corrected. :)

I based my answer on a thread where someone asked for the requirements of Yawcam and in there the answer was that it was required to use Java 1.4.2 or greater. It is likely that I referred my own answer of the latest Java version at that time. :oops:

At any rate, this was a mistake on my end. Well... At least bluznews has an updated version of Java VM now. :P
bluznews

Post by bluznews »

malun wrote:Your code looks good, so I think it should work in IE too. Strange. The error message you get indicates that something is wrong with the Host parameter though. But it looks like you typed it right in the code... Sorry, I can't solve this now.
Well shucks, I was hoping it was something obvious I missed. Or that there was some obscure work-around.

I think it's a bug in IE. Because the page works perfectly in all the other browsers and systems I've tried it in.

I still have the test page up but currently I have the webcam disabled. If anyone else out there has an idea. I'd appreciate it!