Streaming through an ssh pipe port redirect

Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Talk about anything related to Yawcam...
davidjackson

Streaming through an ssh pipe port redirect

Post by davidjackson »

Does anyone know whether it is possible to view the live stream via a SSH pipe so I don't have to open port 8081 on my router.
I tried redirecting port 8081 through ssh with the following command:

ssh user@webcamhost.com -L8081:localhost:8081

and then directing my webbrowser at:

http://localhost:8081

I ended up with the yawcam page but the message

"Err. Chk host! Usr online?"

Thanks
David Jackson
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

I'm not sure what you are trying to achive. Do you have some more info?

/malun
davidjackson

Post by davidjackson »

Well I want to be able to view the live stream when I'm at work, on the road etc. using the java applet and a web browser. However, for security reasons I don't like to open ports on my firewall/router and I want to encrypt the traffic from server to client. I don't want other people to be able to view the live video stream.

For other applications I tunnel traffic through ssh giving me an encyrpted authenticated stream and I only have to open port 22 on my firewall/router.

So for instance I can tunnel vnc, remote desktop, X, smb, etc through ssh on port 22. I do this using port forwarding as described in my previous post where:

ssh user@webcamhost.com -L8081:localhost:8081

would be run from the client running the web browser and webcamhost.com is the machine running yawcam. This after authenticating will open a encrypted, authenticated link between the two machines on port 22 and redirect any requests to port 8081 on the client, to port 8081 on the server through the encrypted ssh link on the port 22 tunnel.

When I try this I end up seeing the yawcam applet in the clients web browser being served from webcamhost.com but not the video stream
just the message:

"Err. Chk host! Usr online?"

Thanks

David
[/quote]
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

Thanks for the explanation. Now I understand more :D

Right now I don't have a computer setup so that I can test this myself... So instead, I'm just guessing :wink:
It sounds like the applet also should try to connect to localhost and not to 'webcamhost.com' as I guess it tries to do now.

Check the html code on the stream page where the applet doesn't work. Look at the line:

Code: Select all

<param name="Host" value="XXXXXXXXXXXXX">
Is the value webcamhost.com?

If so, you need to edit your settings for yawcam. Open "Settings -> Edit settings... -> Stream"
Now, mark the advanced checkbox and type localhost in the 'Force public ip' field. Save the settings.

I think this should do the trick. (But I'm not sure...)

/malun