Yawcam and CPU resources...

Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Talk about anything related to Yawcam...
oaki60

Post by oaki60 »

Every time I run Yawcam software I realize that my CPU slows down. I am using WinXP Pro, and Taskmanager shows that five seconds later I run Yawcam, a System process (originally using 0% of CPU resources) begins to grow up reaching almost 60% of CPU time. When I shut down Yawcam, the System Process comes back to its ussual 0%. I read in the Internet that System process (no relation with System Idle Process) appears just when you have a software problem, like a malfunction USB device, or a faulty program or driver. Have anyone of you ever experienced this kind of problem before? If you have, I want to know how you fixed it. My webcam is a Genius Video CAM Messenger (USB), and it's working fine not only with propietary software but with Yawcam 0.2.6 as well. Thank you.
________
DIGITAL VAPORIZER
Last edited by oaki60 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

The 'System' process listed in the task manager is related to the kernel operations if I have understood this correctly. Some drivers need to work in kernel mode and it's possible that the webcam driver you use does this. At least mine does. It's also possible that some of the native function calls Yawcam does trigger the System process to make some work.

I'm not so sure how this 'System' process work, so feel free to correct me and fill in with good information.

Anyhow the new version of yawcam I'm working on right now has some performance optimizations that might reduce the cpu usage a bit.

By the way, what CPU does your computer have?

/malun
oaki60

CPU configuration...

Post by oaki60 »

It's a liitle old one. It has a ASRock P4VM800 MB, an Intel Celeron 2.66 Ghz Processor, and 512 Mb RAM. However, I'm updating the CPU next week; I expect it will work better with an Intel Dual-Core Processor and 1Gb RAM.
________
Burn notice forum
Last edited by oaki60 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

Of course the new CPU will be great. But 60% cpu usage on the old one sounds really much.

When I run yawcam on a 800 MHz pentium, yawcam.exe takes around 6% and System around 14% cpu usage when the preview window is visible.

/malun
timjane

Post by timjane »

For me, I had one webcam that sat at around 50% CPU usage (even with no preview window open).
Then I switched to a different webcam and CPU usage returns to "normal" ie. hovering just above zero.
weatherman22

Post by weatherman22 »

I have noticed that when I use Yawcam with my analogue camcorder/TV capture card the CPU usage goes up to around 30% when the resolution is set to 720x576, a bit less at the default 320x240.

The process is javaw.exe.

This is causing a lot of stuttering and juddering elsewhere on the PC, i.e. the remaining resources are not used in a smooth manner. It took me some time to realise the link between javaw.exe and Yawcam. I kept killing off javaw.exe when my system slowed, then later wondered what the heck had happened to Yawcam!

I assume it is because the full PAL stream is being processed by Yawcam. I'm really only looking to grab a frame every 5 minutes or so, and I'm wondering if YAWcam is the best tool for the job.

I upload 3 webcams but my webspace insists on only one simultaneous connection to ftp so I have to use multiple i.e. "Yet More Webcam Software"s. :D
weatherman22

CPU usage - Bug Identified, possibly

Post by weatherman22 »

The CPU usage thing.

I notice that it is the Video Preview which bumps up the CPU usage to over 30%, certainly at my preferred 720x576 setting. However closing the Preview window does not release the CPU time, the processing for screen must be continuing in the background.

But if you go back into Format as if you were going to change resolution, the CPU usage then drops, then just cancel out and the CPU usage remains at the lower level. Perhaps a slight bug?
xen

Post by xen »

up

The same problem.... VIA C7 cpu, Yawcam 0.3.8, Windows Server 2003 R2, all updates, JRE6/JRE7