lost settings

Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Talk about anything related to Yawcam...
BigJ

lost settings

Post by BigJ »

I've jus tinstalled YawCam 0.3.0 on Windows 7.

The program looks great but I have 3 problems:

1. the program doesn't remember my settings, I have to reset them from one session to the next, which is very annoying! I can't find a file called yawcam_settings.xml in the installation directory.

2. It's not a big problem but the monitor window flickers constantly. I'm running a Dell 2408 flat panel display at 1920 x 1200, with an ATI Radeon 4870 series graphics card.

3. What settings would I need to capture a session to a file on my computer? I tried to set it to save 50 images at 100ms apart, with a 5 seconds delay, and then create a movie assuming 10fps but it replayed much too fast.

I'm not too worried about the flicker, but the lost settings is a major inconvenience.

Appreciate any suggestions.
tellmewhy

Post by tellmewhy »

1. Settings NOT saved:
    This is due to not enough rights in directory "C:\Program Files\[Yawcam_installation_directory]".
    Windows Vista as well as Windows 7 seems to give you only read and execute rights.
    As you change the settings of your Yawcam, you need the right to change too.
    For this you have to run the application as an administrator.
    How can you do this ? ....
    1. Right-click on the executable Yawcam.exe in your installation directory (ex : "C:\Program Files\[Yawcam_installation_directory]").
    2. Select Properties.
    3. Click the Compatibility tab.
    4. Under Access level (right below settings), check the Run as an administrator.
    5. Click OK.
    6. Run Yawcam.
  2. Dislpay flickers :

This is due to your version of Java installed.
    This is mentionned before.
    See this thread : Preview screen flicker for solutions.
  3. Settings for creating movie :

Obvious when you save an image every 5 seconds.
    You then create a movie from the images you got, but you use 10 fps.
    You will have a clip that plays to fast.
    With your settings, you will see image pass 50 times faster then then the reality.

Try to create your movie at 1 fps.
    I'm sure the result will be much better.