Using two cameras on Yawcam.

Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Talk about anything related to Yawcam...
Richard Hole

Using two cameras on Yawcam.

Post by Richard Hole »

Hello

Is there now an easier way to save an archive of images from two separate webcams so that the archive of images are saved in separate folders for each webcam? I read information at http://sandaysoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3333 and http://tellmewhy.xooit.eu/t432-Yawcam-U ... Yawcam.htm . It was written a few years back. Is this still relevant for the latest version of Yawcam or is there an easier way? Currently when I change the devise in Yawcam one camera stops and the new ones selected starts as indicated by the light diodes on the cameras. They appear to be not both running at the same time. I assume that going through the steps in the above links will enable both to run at once. Is that so? However, is there now an easier way or is one version of Yawcam now capable of handling both cameras.

Regards Richard.
memoric

Post by memoric »

Nope, you can't have both webcams running at once (with one yawcam
instance that is). In order to get images from two webcams you need to
have two yawcam instances running, each one with its own settings. Have
a look at this post, it may help you to accomplish this. Then, in order to
have each yawcam saving to a different folder, just go to its settings &
define the folder you want to save to for this webcam. This post may help
you if you want to categorize the images in folders according to the date
& hour they were taken.
Richard Hole

Post by Richard Hole »

Hi

Thanks for the link.

I read a few posts regarding this and some offer different suggestions like the ones I linked to in my first post. I would have thought that it is logical to leave the settings in all the folders of the current yawcam directory and folder in Programs Files (x86) as it is and then make changes in the second copy that I would create in Programs Files (x86). I am using Windows 7 and my service_profile.cfg has a line of text pointing to C:\Users\hp which is the folder where the .yawcam folder is. Note the dot in front of the "yawcam" which is the way it is. I thought the line of text in service_profile.cfg would read C:\Users\hp\.yawcam instead.

In my situation would I leave that as is and then copy the yawcam folder in C:\Programs Files (x86) and rename it as yawcam2 and then copy the .yawcam folder in C:\Users\hp and paste it in another new folder I could create like C:\secondyawcamdirectory and then change the service_profile.cfg file in C:\Programs Files (x86)\yawcam2 to have the text C:\secondyawcamdirectory ?

Regards Richard.
memoric

Post by memoric »

Yes, you got it right. If you put the other yawcam's settings directory (.yawcam)
in the folder secondyawcamdirectory then your service_profile.cfg should read
C:\secondyawcamdirectory. (But instead of creating another folder in C:\ you can
just place .yawcam inside the second yawcam's directory, so its service_profile.cfg
should read C:\Programs Files\yawcam2. But this is just for not having too many
folders in your C:\. Your suggestion will work fine as well...)
I thought the line of text in service_profile.cfg would read C:\Users\hp\.yawcam instead.
Since yawcam looks for the .yawcam folder, which includes the stuff it needs to run,
service_profile.cfg points it to the folder that contains that folder.