Yawcam 0.4.2 RELEASED!

Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Talk about anything related to Yawcam...
malun
Site Admin

Yawcam 0.4.2 RELEASED!

Post by malun »

Yawcam 0.4.2 has been released!

What's new?
- Added workaround for java 1.8.0_X symbolic link problems.

Get the latest version here:
http://www.yawcam.com/download.php

/malun
MA_Angel

Re: Yawcam 0.4.2 RELEASED!

Post by MA_Angel »

THANK YOU! I, along with many loyal Yawcam users, are very pleased to have you back in action and to learn that this project is still tracked and supported. Thanks so much again, much appreciated! :D
bduren

Post by bduren »

This is good news.
Those of you using more than one cam has probebly already realized that launcher.cfg is replaced by start.bat.
Working good....

/Björn
MA_Angel

Post by MA_Angel »

Just want to report that Yawcam 0.4.2 is confirmed to be working for Win7 systems (both x86 and x64) with the latest Java Version 8 Update 51 (build 1.8.0_51-b16). :D However, Yawcam 0.4.2 would not work with this latest Java update on WinXP systems, as the Java install process deletes the 'javapath' folder's prior contents, leaves it empty with no executable files, and thus prevents Yawcam from running. :x

Solution for Yawcam 0.4.2 to work on WinXP systems with the latest Java (build 1.8.0_51-b16):

COPY the following three executable files:

java.exe
javaw.exe
javaws.exe

C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_51\bin\

to:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Oracle\Java\javapath\

FYI, Yawcam 0.4.2 will start properly now.
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

Strange!

On my test machine with Windows XP, I got the files installed in:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Oracle\Java\javapath
and everything worked as it should.

/malun
MA_Angel

Post by MA_Angel »

Updating Java from build 1.8.0_45-b14 to 1.8.0_51-b16 on three WinXP machines, the 'javapath' folder came up empty. On my fourth and last WinXP setup, I tried uninstalling build 1.8.0_45-b14 completely, and then doing a fresh install of build 1.8.0_51-b16. This approach worked, producing those three executable files in the 'javapath' folder, which allowed Yawcam to start and run properly. FYI...
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

Thanks for your research and for sharing your findings!

It's not easy to be a Java user these days...
Oracle are messing up installation files and Microsoft are pushing updates that destroys functionality used by Java :-/

/malun
MA_Angel

Post by MA_Angel »

Java's days are numbered... there seem to be a lot of rumbling calling for its demise. Any plans to migrate or port Yawcam off Java? I'm no software developer so I have no idea of the feasibility, complexity and efforts required. Yawcam is a useful and well-developed application, and I think its functional capabilities will still be relevant long after Java's availability. I also recognize that WinXP is obsolete now so it's no surprise that software support is waning and software will eventually break--like Java, which sadly impacts and renders Yawcam inoperable.
generalsu

Post by generalsu »

MA_Angel wrote:Java's days are numbered... there seem to be a lot of rumbling calling for its demise. Any plans to migrate or port Yawcam off Java? I'm no software developer so I have no idea of the feasibility, complexity and efforts required. Yawcam is a useful and well-developed application, and I think its functional capabilities will still be relevant long after Java's availability. I also recognize that WinXP is obsolete now so it's no surprise that software support is waning and software will eventually break--like Java, which sadly impacts and renders Yawcam inoperable.
That requires rewriting the entire code base in C++/C# using Visual Studio or Visual C++ for targeting Windows 7/8.1/10 machines. That will take a very long time.
z3r0c00l12

Post by z3r0c00l12 »

Malun, perhaps the way to go in the future is to include the JRE in yawcam's installation, this way Yawcam always finds it and it keeps your user's systems safe as they wouldn't need to have Java installed globally on their computer. This is what Microsoft recently did with Minecraft so users can finally uninstall Java.
generalsu

Post by generalsu »

Yawcam immediately quits on Windows 10 on Java 7 Update 45. Please help!
z3r0c00l12

Post by z3r0c00l12 »

You should open a new thread to discuss this. Make sure you include every details of the error or the point at which it crashes. For example, if you see the Yawcam splash screen, if you see an error message, make sure you mention it. Also try to run the debug batch file and post what it returns as well or if it works.

You could also try to check the java threads stickied in this forum as the path variable is a huge source of problems.
mananaja

Post by mananaja »

Just want to report that Yawcam 0.4.2 is confirmed to be working for Win7 systems.
gkerber

Post by gkerber »

Hi, I've been using Yawcam 4.2 successfully on Windows 7 for about a year.

I upgraded to Windows 10 today.

When I attempt to run yawcam, it just hangs on startup "reading settings".

I have uninstalled yawcam and deleted the config and attempted to reinstall.

The installer says I need Windows Media Center which of course is not available in Windows 10. I installed anyway, but attempting to restart the program results in the hang on "reading settings".

I see others saying yawcam does work for Windows 10, does anyone have any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?

Thanks.
gkerber

Post by gkerber »

I have been running Windows N version... so I searched for and found the "media pack" to get Windows Media Player back... installed it... and I now have WMP back, working and on my programs menu.

And Yawcam works !!

But then today I installed the latest huge w10 update.... it's like a "service pack".. huge down load and the update is just like the original update.

WMP is gone and yawcam again hangs on reading setting when starting.

I reinstalled the "media pack"...

No help, and WMP is no longer installer or showing on the start/programs menu like it did before the "service pack" update.

I have to blame this on Microsoft... don't they test anything?