Just stopped working

Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Talk about anything related to Yawcam...
hobbles

Just stopped working

Post by hobbles »

Evening boys,
About an hour ago my program just stopped working. Now Yawcam can't find the usb camera it was using. It still can find my other usb camera. I also noticed that when Yawcam loads the FFDshow is not loading any more. That program always loaded first then yawcam would load when I clicked on the yawcam icon. Now when I tell yawcam which camera to use I get an error message saying "could not connect to the device" Any ideas?
malun
Site Admin

Re: Just stopped working

Post by malun »

Have you tried to reboot the computer?
Sometimes the drivers can lock the camera and won't release it. Rebooting the computer fixes that...

/malun
hobbles

Post by hobbles »

Yes, I did that a few times.
I think I might have got it working using my inside camera but I have a question for you. Do I need that FFDshow program running along with the YAW cam program?
If not I might be ok. I un installed and re installed Yawcam.
I will pull my out door camera tomorrow and bring it inside and hook it up to my puter with out using the 50 foot USB extension.
I THINK my problem just might be with either the outside camera or the extension.
On a good note,, Yawcam loads a heck of a lot faster with out the FFDshow program loading also.
MA_Angel

Post by MA_Angel »

How are you implementing the "50 foot USB extension"? Are you using active or passive USB extension cable(s)? Are you using a separate AC powered USB hub to power the USB camera? Running USB connection over such a distance is problematic...
hobbles

Post by hobbles »

Mornin MA_Angel,
It's active.
I am using this cable. http://www.ebay.com/itm/131303612831 . Any and all ideas are welcome/needed. I need at least a 35 foot cable. The system worked for about 5 hours, then just before dark, it quit.
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

Yawcam don't use FFDShow. So it should be fine without it...
Not sure though if your camera or camera's driver uses FFDShow in some how.

What camera are you using?

As MA_Angel points out, long USB cables can be problematic.
Does it work when you connect the camera directly to the computer without the extension?

/malun
hobbles

Post by hobbles »

Never mind. I uninstalled the FFDShow program and Yawcam seems to be working fine now, it even finds my outside camera. Life is good.

Morning malun,

I am using THIS camera. When in Yawcam it only lets me chose the USB video device which looks like it loads the FFDShow program. It won't recognize the IP CAMERA. That darn FFDShow program which loads first, REALLy slows down my puter. I'm thinking of just taking it out to see what happens. What do you think on that????

PS: Camera works, cable went bad.

PPS: Yawcam can and does read my indoor puter web cam (Creative Webcam) without loading the FFDShow program, but my Creative Webcam came with drivers. Could that be the problem? Do I need a driver for my 1080P IR DOME USB Camera??
Yawcam really runs smooth and fast without that DARN FFDShow program.
Last edited by hobbles on Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MA_Angel

Post by MA_Angel »

Most of these cheap no-name 'active' cables from China are unreliable and of poor quality. Even if they work as claimed, they cannot be use for connecting passive USB devices such as webcams. These cables are designed and intended for active (self-powered) devices such as USB printers. Verify that the extension cable(s) are indeed faulty by testing with an active USB device if possible. You can then try adding a powered USB hub, with an external power adapter, to the *camera-end* of the extension so that the USB camera can be powered from the hub. It's unclear if your camera has night vision capability, as its spec only states that it supports and needs an IR board. If the camera does have night-vision, then that could explain why the camera failed after a few hours--possibly when the IR LEDs turned on...