Windows 10 compatibility issue

Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Talk about anything related to Yawcam...
alfienoakes

Windows 10 compatibility issue

Post by alfienoakes »

Hi all,

I've been using Yawcam for years on a Windows 7 machine, and it's brilliant. However, I just got an HP Envy Windows 10 laptop, very hi-def, and now the program is absolutely tiny, unusable. I don't want to do a system-wide scaling change, because everything else (except VNC Viewer) is perfect. Has anyone got any idea how I can restore it to something like it was before?

Thanks in advance,

:-)
MA_Angel

Re: Windows 10 compatibility issue

Post by MA_Angel »

NVM... :mrgreen:
Last edited by MA_Angel on Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

The problem alfienoakes describes is not related to Windows 10, but rather the hi-def screen in his new laptop.
You would get the same behavior in let's say Windows 7 if the screen had the same resolution.

So, the issue is that java applications don't scale when Windows change DPI on hi-def screens. Hopefully this will be fixed in a future update of java, but I'm not sure when of if that will happen.
I you should happen to use java version 6, there might be a flag that could fix this. But most likely (as you should) you are using a newer java version, and then this flag won't work.

There is a workaround described here:
http://superuser.com/questions/988379/h ... pi-display

I have tried it and it works, but it's kind of in the deep water, because it involves modifying the manifest of the javaw.exe file. That will affect all java programs running on your computer, and at the next java upgrade you would have to re-do the modification again.

/malun
alfienoakes

Post by alfienoakes »

HI and thank you for your replies.

I tried Resource Editor to change the DpiAware setting in the manifest, but it wouldn't save it. Kept coming up with an error. Not sure why? It's very annoying. I don't know what else to do.

Harumph!
alfienoakes

Post by alfienoakes »

Wait! Stupidly, I didn't think of running Resource Editor as Administrator. Doh! (Geez, now I need to find out how to turn that off - I am the damn 'administrator').

So, I did that, and it worked. I haven't tried any other Java programs yet, but so far so good. Thank you Malun, that's a stroke of genius. Never considered altering .exe files before. I guess if it makes other progs unbearable at least it's pretty simple and quick to do.

Thank you again. :-)