Webcam not online

Beta versions of Yawcam will be announced in this section. You are also welcome to discuss the beta versions in here.
prpetty

Webcam not online

Post by prpetty »

I'm running windows 2k pro, installed the Beta version 0.2.6>7 and everything went well...just so you know, YAWCAM is probably one of the best I've found...easy 'out of the box' install and everything seems to work well except I can't seem to get it to show up online. I've forwarded both ports 8888 for TCP and 8081 for both TCP and UDP in my LinkSys router...heck lets just say I followed the instructions (did RTFM) and still can't get it to published.
I get no application errors, system errors or security errors in the syslogs, yet still can't get it to publish.
Router does suport UPnP but it won't automatically forward the ports ether. Router is at the latest firmware release and the 2k OS has latest patches on it.
I've also shut down my virus checking and firewall software thinking that may have an impact on it...no luck...anyone with any ideas?
Randy
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

Check if the ip address reported as your public ip in "Settings -> Edit settings... -> Connection" is the same as the public ip address of your router.
If it is, you should be able to get it running... :wink:

Have you used the function "Help -> Am I online?" ?

Also, some Internet Service Providers block certain port numbers. You can try to change from the default numbers (8888 and 8081) to something else and see if that helps...

/malun
prpetty

Post by prpetty »

I've tried almost everything in the way of port changes and IP address changes. When I do a trace route to Yahoo.com I get
192.168.1.1 (which is the default linksys management IP address that I reinstated for this testing)
192.168.2.1 (which beats the crap out of me)
71.55.120.1 (which reports as dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
and on out through other hops...
The connection reports as 71.55.124.119 and my router reports as 192.168.2.2.
I know the 192 addresses aren't going to work but thought for sure something would. I believe I'll have to call Embarq support to determine for sure what my external facing IP address is.
Thanks for your help on this but so far still isn't fixed...I still like the ease of operation of your product though and am still hopefull.
Randy
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

prpetty wrote:I believe I'll have to call Embarq support to determine for sure what my external facing IP address is.
This sounds like the easiest solution!

If your router has the ip 192.168.2.2 as a public address it is possible that you are behind some kind of proxy. That kind of sucks...

Anyhow, contact your ISP and hear what they have to say.

/malun