Yawcam BETA 2007-03-18 (FTP error)

Beta versions of Yawcam will be announced in this section. You are also welcome to discuss the beta versions in here.
deadguysinging

Yawcam BETA 2007-03-18 (FTP error)

Post by deadguysinging »

Hi there.

I've been running this BETA for a week now and it has all the functionality I require. I have only one problem and that is with FTP. I have scheduled a capture to be FTP'd to my web site every 15 seconds. When working the files are transferred without any problems. Unfortunately the FTP transfer seems to stop work every now again (it has already stopped twice today within 2 hours). A couple of times some sort of null error is logged (sorry, I didn't record it) in the console but other times there are no errors.

I do know that my ADSL conenction is not completely stable and does have the tendancy to drop out intermittently. Normally the service is conencted again after a minute or two.

Are you able to shed any light as to why FTP would not continue to work once network connectivity has been restored (if in fact this is the problem)?

Thanks.
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

When I cut my Internet connection when using the ftp upload in Yawcam I get an error message printed in the console looking like this:

Code: Select all

[18:33] Could not connect to ftp-server!
I'm not sure what happens to Yawcam on your computer, but if you want to help finding the problem follow these steps:

Download this file:
http://www.tmp.yawcam.com/debug_start.bat
and save it in your Yawcam directory. (e.g. C:\Program Files\Yawcam)

Now start Yawcam by double clicking this new bat file.
Start the ftp output and run until you get the Ftp error in the console.
Quit Yawcam.

You will now have a log file named debug_log.txt in your Yawcam directory.

Please email this log file to me: malun [at] yawcam.com

/malun
deadguysinging

Post by deadguysinging »

Hey Malun,

I have just upgraded to 0.3.0 and shall let you know if this makes any difference. Thanks.

deadguy...
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

I'm sorry to say that there is no difference between the latest beta and version 0.3.0 regarding the FTP-upload...

I got your mail and have looked at the debug-file but can't find anything strange (except that the ftp upload just stops...). I will look at it some more and answer soon but right now I can't receive or send e-mails since my ISP has some problems with the mail-server :evil:

It would be interesting to get a debug file from when you get the null error in the console. It might be easier to dig from there...

/malun
deadguysinging

Debug

Post by deadguysinging »

Hi there. I thought I'd adopt the Microsoft approach and upgrade to the latest version....just in case.

I'm running in debug mode again and will wait until I see something useful in the log file. I'll e-mail it when this occurs. Thanks for your help.

Deadguy...
Adam55

Post by Adam55 »

Perhaps add a feature which reconnects in 3..2..1 and starts the whole ftp proccess again.
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

Adam55 wrote:Perhaps add a feature which reconnects in 3..2..1 and starts the whole ftp proccess again.
Right now there is the function "Silent retry on connection error" that kind of does what you are asking for there...
The problem here is that the ftp upload just stops for deadguysinging without any real kind of error messages noticed by Yawcam. ...and if Yawcam doesn't detect any errors it can't restart the ftp process.

/malun
dmb22

Post by dmb22 »

I am having the same issue on 0.3.0 where the FTP will stop after a certain amount of time. This morning it was after 50 minutes and this afternoon it was after almost 2 hours (uploading every 5 seconds via FTP). I am receiving the following error message. After the first time, I deleted the files in the tmp folder, but it doesn't seem to have helped...

dmb22

Post by dmb22 »

Also, I have to click "ok" on the message above. After clicking "ok", the FTP option is disabled and has to be re-enabled. There should be an auto-recovery here that doesn't rely on a physical mouse click to acknowledge an error and another mouse click to re-enable the FTP export...
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

dmb22 wrote:Also, I have to click "ok" on the message above. After clicking "ok", the FTP option is disabled and has to be re-enabled. There should be an auto-recovery here that doesn't rely on a physical mouse click to acknowledge an error and another mouse click to re-enable the FTP export...
I agree. At least it should retry automatically if the option "silent retry on connection error" is selected. (And perhaps remove the word "connection" from the text...)

The error mesage you attached shall only be displayed when Yawcam can't write the temporary file that shall be uploaded to the ftp server. Do you think you can download the alternate start file and create a debug log file and send that to me? That might help me figure out what goes wrong...

/malun
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

I just wanted you all to know that I have found a FTP server where the upload stops also for me. I have made some tests and think I'm getting closer to find the problem. I'll keep you updated on the progress...

/malun
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

I have made some changes in the latest beta that hopefully fixes the problem when the ftp uploading stops.

Get the beta version form here:
http://www.yawcam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627

Try it and see if if helps!

/malun
eakinasila

Post by eakinasila »

I am studying Dreamweaver and need to find a website with FTP? I prefer using free websites and often these don't offer the FTP address, unless, of course, you pay for it. Can anyone please tell me where to find such a sight and how to get dreamweaver and the ftp together?