Streaming bug in 0.32 & 0.33

Report and discuss bugs here!
Rob Baby

Streaming bug in 0.32 & 0.33

Post by Rob Baby »

This is a continuation of the following post :

http://www.yawcam.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... ight=black

I noted the following bug in 0.32 and have confirmed that it is also in 0.33.

I noticed that on some days when I started yawcam 0.32, my stream would show an image that was partially black; in other words, only a percentage of the image was being displayed. But on some days the streaming image would display perfectly.

The bug: Start yawcam and streaming. If you then increase the output resolution WHILE THE PREVIEW WINDOW IS NOT OPEN the stream will only show a percentage of the proper image, the rest of the image display area will be black.

On the other hand, if the preview window is open as you increase output resolution, the streaming image will display perfectly.
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

Thanks for reporting this.
I have the same behavior on my machine.

I noticed that changing the image size by using the function "Settings -> Device (X) -> Change to device..." with the preview window closed doesn't give this problem.

It might be some problem with the "Format control" since this is the dialog from the native driver. It's a bit tricky to get the driver's dialog seamlessly integrate with Yawcam...
I'll have a look on the problem...

/malun
Rob Baby

Post by Rob Baby »

Hey mate. Thanks for the quick reply and thanks for the great software.

It sounds like you're saying that once you open the Format Control dialog you know nothing of the events inside the dialog (like combo box selection changes, clicking the apply button) because it is native, not Java. So once you open the Format Control dialog the next event you see is the closure of the Format Control dialog?

If that is the case, as a sort of workaround, would it be too intrusive to ensure that preview window is open prior to opening the Format Control dialog? So, in response to the menu item event from the "Format control..." menu item, firstly force the preview window to be open prior to opening the Format Control dialog, then open the Format Control dialog. Seeing the Format Control dialog is modal you don't have to worry about the preview window being closed before the Format Control dialog is closed.

And maybe, just to be sure, when you catch the event that the Format Control dialog is closed, do not allow the preview window to be closed until the new format settings have been applied within the preview window. If the user clicks the X to close the preview window while the new settings are being applied to the preview window, silently catch the user's intention, then once the settings have been applied to the preview window, close the window if the user has indeed clicked X.

I guess some people might be annoyed by the preview window appearing when they have either closed it or set things up so it doesn't open, but, trust me, it is not as big an issue as trying to figure out why, only sometimes, some of the streaming image is black :)