Suggestion: Password protection for streaming

Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Talk about anything related to Yawcam...
Jii

Suggestion: Password protection for streaming

Post by Jii »

First of all I'd wish to thank you, Malun, for one of the most useful webcam software I've ever encountered.

After using it for several months now, I have a suggestion for the next release of Yawcam:

For the built-in webserver, it would be nice, if you could add a simple username/password protection for it so only people who know the password can connect to the streaming applet.

Forcing an IP address and opening ports straight to the webcam stream so that everyone can access the stream without some sort of protection sounds very insecure and as such, this sort of protection would be very welcome.

What do you think of this?
Dangerous

Post by Dangerous »

That would b nice. but..........
that also will b a waste of time for him, bcuz if u own a server u can put the script in one folder then just protect the folder with a user/password and give them to ur friend, or u can make a registration b4 they can watch the cam's, after registration they can b redirected to the protected folder once u have hes/her e-mail send to hes/her the user and password or make that more easy use PHP codification for users.

thats just me.
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

Yes, password protection would be nice. Most people using Yawcam don't have their own webserver or the possibility to restrict access on the webserver they are using. So this is a good idea.
I think there is an old post about this somewhere back in the forum, but I'm to lazy to search for it now :oops:
Anyway, probably I will implement password protection some day... but not to the next version.

Right now the only way to get password protection is to use a separate webserver.

/malun
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

Ok, I made the search... Here are the old post:
http://www.yawcam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=63

/malun
Jii

Post by Jii »

Running the applet from a web server of my own is exactly what I was having in mind. I have problems getting the stream through, probably due to a port forwarding issue. :?

If I force my IP address, both applets, the unsigned and signed versions, refuse to work through my web server (The site index page has a link to the page, that has the applet code). The web server is Microsoft IIS 6.0 :shock:

If I open port 8081 for Yawcam in my gateway computer, I get the stream through from the page normally, but this would make my own web server useless since people can get past the web server's password check simply by pointing their browsers to port 8081.

Changing the port number to be the same as the web server does no good either, since Yawcam refuses to cooperate, telling me to use a different port number (I actually gave this a try once :oops: )

Am I really missing something important here? Got any more ideas? :?:
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

Jii wrote: Am I really missing something important here? Got any more ideas? :?:
No, you are not! I am the one missing something important here!
The first versions of Yawcam used two port numbers for the streaming. One for the actual streaming image data, and one to access the webpage. In later versions I reduced the these two ports to one port to make it easier to configure and get Yawcam running. But now when only one port number is used both for the webserver and the image data we have a problem. As you say one can "get past the web server's password check simply by pointing their browsers to port 8081".

On the other hand there is an ugly way to solve this. Edit the file template.html located in your Yawcam stream directory (i.e. c:\program files\yawcam\stream\template.html). Remove the applet from the html code. For example you can make page look like this:

Code: Select all

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<html>
<head>
<title>Error</title>
</head>
<body>
Nope, nothing here!
</body>
</html>
Now the applet shouldn't be visible.

Ofcourse all this should be solved by implementing a real password protection function in Yawcam. We'll see if I can fix this in the future...

/malun
Jii

Post by Jii »

Thanks again, Malun! It works like a charm. :D

I modified a standard HTTP Error 404 page and replaced the template.html.

My web page handles the password check after which it opens the page containig the applet code.

Password check is still a feature I'm waiting for. I hope I'll see it implemented somewhere in the future.
adamster

any luck on this yet?

Post by adamster »

just installed it and would like it password protected. Any luck on this yet?
tellmewhy

Re: any luck on this yet?

Post by tellmewhy »

adamster wrote:just installed it and would like it password protected. Any luck on this yet?
Yawcam - How to secure the video stream ....
As we don't want to everybody views the webcam stream, we have to secure it.
  • Take the menu option "Settings / edit Settings".

• The settings main window is displayed.

Click the option "Password".
    Mark the option "Use Password on stream output".
  • This box is displayed.

Click the Add button to add a password.
  • Fill in the "Username" and a "Password".

Click the Add button.
  • The username & password are now listed.

You can add more then 1 account.
    You now can view the transmitted stream only if you know the account.
    Click OK to close the settings window.
Think you mean this feature ?
See the Yawcam - On line help.
72sonett

Post by 72sonett »

tellmewhy wrote:Yawcam - How to secure the video stream ....
Take the menu option "Settings / edit Settings".
Click the option "Password".
Mark the option "Use Password on stream output"
That works, but I think this password option is in the wrong place in the menu, it should be under
Settings --> Edit Settings --> Output --> Stream
or
Settings --> Edit Settings --> Output --> Stream --> Aditional Settings
Last edited by 72sonett on Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

72sonett wrote:That works, but I think this password option is in the wrong place in the menu, it should be under
Settings --> Edit Settings --> Output --> Stream
or
Settings --> Edit Settings --> Output --> Stream --> Aditional Settings
Good point...

/malun
dks99

Suggestions - exclude pswd on local subnet option

Post by dks99 »

malun, as everyone else mentions on this forum.
YOUR SOFTWARE ROCKS !!!, this is the best webcam software out there :)

I have two suggestions that deal with security so I thought I would add them here:

- ability to set (or mainly exclude) a password on a given subnet range.
or a checkbox to skip password request when the client is on the same subnet range (local) to the web cam client...

- how about an option to see (via HTML) current (or perhaps even previous) clients that connected to the webcam site ?
Currently its only possible to see that activity list while you are sitting at the web cam console.

keep up the great work :)
I am a programmer too, and I know how much efforts these projects take :)