How to grab the same Camera each time??

Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Talk about anything related to Yawcam...
bsisson

How to grab the same Camera each time??

Post by bsisson »

My Repetier-Server resides on a semi-dedicated Workstation that has a few other things running on it, but it has PLENTY of CPU and Memory for everything, and then some.

The Good News, is that it doesn't restart/reboot very often. (I have Win11 updates paused for 3 months)

The BAD news... When it reboots, the USB cameras (4 of them) ALWAYS get messed up. Only 3 of 4 cameras are on Yawcam. The other is on a separate application that talks directly to its camera.

Question: How do I make it so that on reboots, each instance of YawCam Grabs has the same camera as last time?

The related problem is the SAME start routine is called 3 times, and it starts 3 different instances of YawCam, Yawcam, Yawcam #2, and YawCam #3. So I can't put something in the batch routine for each camera.

Reboots on a "server" are always a pain as they have so much stuff that needs to load, and having to re-address 3x cameras does not help.

I tried editing the Display name for each camera, but those seem to get wiped on reboots and YawCam doesn't seem to select on that field anyway.

What I want is to put "Camera1" in some field in YawCam and find a permanent place in the registry to "name" a device "Camera1" so it gets selected each time.

Thoughts? Ideas?
malun
Site Admin

Re: How to grab the same Camera each time??

Post by malun »

I'm afraid this is a known issue in Yawcam.

Yawcam asks the system for available cameras and a get list in response. Yawcam then only saves a number for the position in that list for the selected camera. If the system returns the camera list in a different order, Yawcam will select the wrong camera. Most systems always return the same order, but when they don't we can get this problem.

I'll see if we can use a camera ID instead of an index number to correct this...

/malun
malun
Site Admin

Re: How to grab the same Camera each time??

Post by malun »

Please try this beta version and see if that makes any difference:
https://www.yawcam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13192

/malun