Switch web cam on browser.

Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Talk about anything related to Yawcam...
armand2099

Switch web cam on browser.

Post by armand2099 »

Hello.
First, this is best webcam software ever, I used it a few years ago and now I'm back.
I was wonderong if there is a way to swith between cams remotely/on the web page, or maybe assign different ports to different cams, in other words add the functionality to the program to support several cams at the same time.
Thanks.
malun
Site Admin

Post by malun »

It 's not possible for Yawcam to connect to multiple cameras at the moment.
There is however a "workaround" if you run multiple instances of Yawcam.

1) Install the first yawcam instance as usual and run it like usual.
2) Make a copy of the yawcam program directory (typically: C:\Program Files\Yawcam) and name the copy Yawcam2. You will now have two program directories for Yawcam:
C:\Program Files\Yawcam
and
C:\Program Files\Yawcam2
3) Create a new directory c:\yawcamsettings
4) Create a new directory c:\yawcamsettings\yawcam2

Now it's time to edit two files in here:
C:\Program Files\Yawcam2
If you are using windows xp or 2000 you can edit the files with notepad as usual, so jump to step 8 below.
If you are using windows vista or 7 you have to run the editor as an administrator, so continue at step 5.

5) Click on the windows start button and type "notepad" in the search field.
6) In the result list, right click on Notepad and choose "Run as administrator"
7) Now open the file in Notepad by clicking "File -> Open..." and browse to the file.

8 ) Edit the file C:\Program Files\Yawcam2\service_profile.cfg to contain one line like this:
C:\yawcamsettings\yawcam2
9) Edit the file C:\Program Files\Yawcam2\launcher.cfg
Add the word service on the last line. If it's correct the last line will end with: yawcam.Main service

10) Start the second instance of Yawcam by running:
C:\Program Files\Yawcam2\Yawcam.exe
This version will now use settings located here:
c:\yawcamsettings\yawcam2\.yawcam
Browse to this path and see that the .yawcam directry has been created.
11) You now want to create a text file disablerunningcheck.txt here:
c:\yawcamsettings\yawcam2\.yawcam\disablerunningcheck.txt
to get rid of the question when starting the second instance of Yawcam.

/malun
jxoco

Post by jxoco »

I've spent a few hours trying to get two webcams running and so I followed these instructions and have still not been able to get 2 webcams to work.
ver 0.3.5 followed these instructions exactly.
As I still hadn't gotten it to work when ver 0.3.6 was released, I started over and found that in point 10 I had to rename the executable C:\Program Files\Yawcam2\Yawcam.exe to C:\Program Files\Yawcam2\Yawcam2.exe

I've also incorporated the settings in http://www.yawcam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3947#3947

I am only trying to FTP picts every minute or so to two FTP directories, one a picture of an inside thermometer and the other a picture of an outside thermometer.

So with 2 cheapie driverless webcams and 2 logitech D250's and 1 logitech orbitcam to choose from I can find no combination of two of these devices that work. The second device/instance started always uploads a black picture.

Is there some recommended webcams that would work?
Is there some settings that I need to fine tune?

It is running on XP sp3 on a thinkpad T23 which is a pent III at 1000mhz with 768 meg ram.
It doesn't seem to be maxed out with 2 instances running, about 33% CPU usage, as I am writing this message on the same machine.
z3r0c00l12

Post by z3r0c00l12 »

I think you missed step 8 or 9, therefore both instances are using the same webcam. From what you said it seems like this is the problem. Unless there is some other configuration problem that is overlapping.
jxoco

Post by jxoco »

step 8 and 9 were both done.

Yawcam does ftp a picture, with a date and time stamp that is increasing every 30 seconds, the upload frequency, but the picture is always black.
Black for the camera that was started second.
If the same camera is started first it will work but then the other camera's picture will be black.
AIactive

Post by AIactive »

If you're running mulitple Yawcams on multiple computers and each one has it's own unique IP then you can make a webpage that displays only one cam at a time and then have buttons/controls to switch from one cam to another.

I did that a while back and the way I did it is I had a separate HTML webpage for each cam and on the main webpage I would just Iframe in each webcam HTML page. So the only other thing needed is have one or more controls to switch from one Iframe to another which is a fairly easy to do if you're somewhat well versed in HTML/javascript.

And if you want to do the samething the hard way you can program everything to work the same way without using any Iframes and separate HTML webcam pages. You just need to write up some more new javascript functions for changing and loading a different cam into the main webpage.
jxoco

Post by jxoco »

I think I should just ask people who do have two cameras running and ftping at the same time on one pc, What brand of cameras are you using?

I will take the easy way and duplicate a working setup...
AIactive

Post by AIactive »

If you get multiple Yawcams running on a single system then you can still program a webpage the way I previously mentioned to control all the cams at the same time. Sorry, I should of say that before.

I use HP & Logitech cams.
And good luck getting someone else's single system
multicam setup because I don't have or need that.
I run a separate cam on each of my systems and
everything works better that way, no conflicts, no
overloads, etc.
cwhoward1

Post by cwhoward1 »

joxoco - don't give up yet.

Here is a test you could try before you buy new cameras.
If you can get camera -1 to work with YAWCAM,
sit it aside,

try to get a second camera to work with the same version
of YAWCAM.

If you can get two of the cameras to work with 1 copy of YAWCAM
one at a time,

Then let us know.
For your the next suggestion.

I am using:
two old Logitec Messenger ( very poor video )
two newer Microsoft Lifecam VX-3000 ( very good video )
two newer Logitec HD Webcam C510 ( great video )
and 4 Trendnet TV-IP110W that I cannot get to work YET with YAWCAM.

Just playing around with as many as 6 cameras on one machine and
six copies of YAWCAM running.

Chuck