YawCam not sending Email alerts upon motion detection

Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Talk about anything related to Yawcam...
kvrajan

YawCam not sending Email alerts upon motion detection

Post by kvrajan »

Hi.

I have done the required settings for sending emails when a motion is detected, as far I know and can think of. But not getting any emails while, the 'save' to file is working upon detecting motion.

My Windows firewall & Routers are set to allow SMTP and port 25 is open.
I'm trying to send a mail to my gmail account via smtp.live.com [msn] using hotmail account credentials.

Obviously something is missing and hence no mails are sent / received.

Could some one help me with all the settings that need to be done in YawCam and outside in the desktop. Also, if possible, guideline to test it myself whether the mail sending process works !.

Thanks in advance.
z3r0c00l12

Post by z3r0c00l12 »

I would suggest posting a screenshot of the email settings you put in, or simply copy the fields in this thread so that we may help you further as it seems you may have confused how the SMTP protocol works. When you mention "Windows firewall & Routers are set to allow SMTP and port 25 is open". I would ask you to close that port immediately as it is an unnecessary threat. You don't need port 25 open unless you are hosting the SMTP server on your computer. When Yawcam sends an e-mail it does an outbound connection to SMTP.live.com on port 25 hence, Microsoft's servers are the one that need port 25 open not you.

z3r0c00l12

EDIT: You may also check out the Help Guide which has a pretty good explanation.
Also, I believe live doesn't support it's SMTP fully, although Gmail does and the guide is very useful for Gmail. Maybe created a gmail account for this sole purpose?
kvrajan

Post by kvrajan »

Hi..

Thanks for your response. Yes, Gmails works fine but not Hotmail [smtp.live.com]. This is good enough as I can set it for Gmails and watch that one.

Additional thanks for the advise on the 'no need to open port 25 on my side'. While I was thinking of the fact opening ports should be only for inward traffic to be allowed, when the live.com mail did not work, I opened them for benefit of doubt. [:=)]
z3r0c00l12

Post by z3r0c00l12 »

If you prefer to use Hotmail, you may always use Gmail's feature to forward your e-mail to hotmail, I've done this before and it works very well.
kvrajan

Email forwarding

Post by kvrajan »

Hi..
Thanks again. I have noted the suggestion.

Kvr.
kvrajan

Working with gmail

Post by kvrajan »

This track can be closed.

As it works well with Gmail and that's good enough for me. Initially I tried setting up for Hotmail, which did not work. And I can ignore that.

thanks.
S4vannah

Post by S4vannah »

As far as I understood your post try to do this. Close the port 25 because it won't help you if it is opened. If you are already using the SMTP, then that is the right time to open the port 25.